Wednesday, April 4, 2012

what do japanese people do?

When I think about what Japanese people do, I think about people using phones on train. As you see this picture, people are facing with phone and chilling with it. I do not know why they are doing it, but I guess this is because people are nothing to do on train, and they keep silent to not bother anybody. People are not supposed to make noise on train so that they have to kill the time with doing something either using phone or reading books. it is really normal to me but I learned it is different in abroad, and I even realized that it is really different  in America through experiencing train there.
Train in America is really loud. people are talking and even singing, but other passengers have never got angry. When I was there at the moment, I really got angry at the people, but my American friends told me that is normal in America. this is what I was surprised the most.

people are using phones even though they are standing on the train. I think it can be said that increasing the number of people using train is related to the development of technology. Japan is one of the most technology developed country so people are easily able to access to internet or play games, therefore, the time of using phone has become longer. Communication through phone became really popular.
 Another possibility that using phone on train is that people can avoid strangers. not facing people each other on train can be important for the sake of avoiding any troubles. Sometimes people have got in trouble by facing people. 
I found out the conclusion that people are not doing nothing on train, but are actually communicating with someone through cellphone, in other words, people are TALKING on the train through non-verbal communication.

2 comments:

  1. The use of cell phones and manners is an interesting topic for this post. I would like to see more on this. And where are your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. Now I see your photos. They are a bit impersonal. These look like something from MSN.com rather than a visual anthropology blog...

    ReplyDelete